Currently IN STOCK for select sizes
Black beads on black leather: so this one is mainly…black! One day, we had the idea to reverse the beadwork pattern to give a hint of the traditional Kenyan designs, but this time created with only a subtle outline, and made one as a sample. Super-understated, we thought it would go rather unnoticed until everyone kept, well, noticing it, somehow…so much so that we had to make it part of our permanent collection. The graphite grey beads give a gunmetal-glint to the black, and a very few streaks of alternated white beads punctuate the black in tracer-like lines.
…and you will know while wearing this belt you are already helping the artisan who created it with income to support her family with food, clothing and school fees for her kids. And for our semi-nomadic artisans, you are also directly helping to support wildlife in remote areas of Kenya, by providing income these pastoralists wouldn’t otherwise have access to.
Need To Know:
- MADE TO ORDER for you, if we don't list your size as available
- Order one size up from your trouser / pants waist size – also read our FAQs for tips on accurate measuring, to help minimize returns
- Made in Kenya. Every piece is entirely hand-made and unique: the traditional patterns are created by each Maasai, Samburu or Ndorobo artisan, so no two belts are identical
- Your belt also helps support wildlife in these remote areas; with more income, our artisans in remote areas can rely less on their livestock and fragile, semi-arid landscape for survival
- We use naturally soft, pliable leather, which ages beautifully the more they are worn in (don't we all!)
- A non-stretch panel included between the beadwork and the backing leather helps to minimize your belt changing size
- Tough, fishing-line strength thread is used to firmly sew on the beads; our artisans are specially trained in a sewing technique which makes the construction as high quality and long-lasting as these designs can possibly be
- The hand-made buckle is cast from solid, recycled brass, custom-made by our metalwork artisans in Nairobi
- Your belt helps to maintain the traditional beadwork skills and patterns alive in remote areas of Kenya.